This week we’re featuring a live performance of “The Death Of Us” from the debut album “Baby, ‘You’re A Vampire” by The Devoted Few.
Posts Tagged ‘australia’
In their own words The Slow Push “make the kind of music that only hipless, pasty Caucasians can pull off.”
This stiff, pleasantly jaded band from Down Under has frozen my heart into tiny little pieces. I’ve fallen for their music pretty hard and I think you will too.
- Listen to The Slow Push on The Highway Girl
- Buy We Blame the Overachievers
- Follow The Slow Push on Twitter
Musical Guest: The Devoted Few
While in Australia, Samantha had the pleasure of interviewing The Devoted Few. The Devoted Few are Ben Fletcher, Skye Knight, Barry Adamson, Dave Hunt, Adam ‘Wesley’ Gregorace & Sam Miller.
In our first episode of 2009, the band sits down with Samantha to talk about their album Baby, You’re A Vampire. What kind of album is it? We’ll let the band give you a few more clues:
“It’s got music that sounds like a city going up in flames, and words that sound like the poetry you hear in your dreams. It’s got songs about love, songs about war, songs about dead poets, and songs about those guys who pissed the band off.
It’s got at least one song about the futility of all human endeavor that nevertheless makes you want to dance like a lunatic, and a couple of songs about vampires to boot. It is a world-class Australian indie rock record. It’s the new album by The Devoted Few – and they can’t wait for you to hear it.”
We can’t wait for you to hear it too. Check out The Devoted Few, on this week’s episode of The Highway Girl.
Tech Tuesday returns this week featuring an interview with Stuart Coupe from Laughing Outlaw Records. Stuart, who also manages The Devoted Few, sits down with Samantha to discuss the indie music scene in Australia and being an artist in the digital age.
Check out this amazing podcast with the lovely, talented and all around wonderful Martha Wainwright. In this podcast Martha talks to Samantha about life, music and her album, “I Know You’re Married, But I Have Feelings Too.”
We love hearing from you! If you have feedback on how we can improve our site or know of an indie artist we should interview, head on over to http://www.TheHighwayGirl.com and click Forum.
Samantha Murphy Ring of Fire
Vote for my SXSW Panel!
Become a Fan on Facebook
- RT @TurnbullMalcolm: Our commitment to multiculturalism & a non-discriminatory immigration system is well known. aus.pm/7jiz ht… 2 weeks ago
- Trump's off to a great start with Australia trying to back out of the refugee deal Obama inked. 2 weeks ago
- I'm so grateful for Australia and I thank God every day for mine and my son's dual citizenship. 2 weeks ago
- @TyreJim nice to hear! I’m in a totally different space now, but remember those days Phondly! 😂 I’m also living in Australia now. 3 weeks ago
- Checking in as safe in light of CBD nightmare. Hope all are okay. 😢 1 month ago
About Samantha Murphy, aka The Highway GirlArtist Samantha Murphy has spent her entire life writing and playing music. As a part of her family's band she opened for artists like Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton. As a solo artist she's worked with Five for Fighting and Kylie Minogue among many others.
Samantha's first single from her sophomore release Some Assembly Required is a cover of Johnny Cash's hit song Ring of Fire, produced by Samantha and Ray Kennedy (Lucinda Williams/Steve Earle). Watch the video and buy it on the Internet 9/15/10.
In 2005 Samantha was one of the first music podcasters ever. In 2008 the show launched as a weekly web TV show called The Highway Girl. As Samantha tours she features a different artist from a different city and venue each week. The show educates artists on how to take care of themselves both on and off the road.
Follow me on Twitter @SamanthaMurphy
On the Web: SamanthaMurphy.com
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Teitur - You Never Leave LA January 27, 2012
- Jesca Hoop Interview October 28, 2010
- highwaygirl.mov September 16, 2010
- Greg Holden - Interview September 9, 2010
- Rob Giles - Tambourine September 5, 2010
- Ring of Fire Video August 22, 2010
- Juliette Lewis Interview August 16, 2010
- Greg Holden - As Far As I Can August 16, 2010
Get The Highway Girl on Your Mobile
- artists australia billy harvey bird and the bee bruce springsteen buddy cameron mcgill CES 2010 charity water christopher dallman cooking with james creative commons dave allen Dave Lowensohn Economy evan mchugh feedback Finances Foodzie Fred von Lohmann free download grateful Happiness inara george indie indie music jesse malin jj appleton joie calio jonathan coulton jonathon coulton last.fm live music lucie thorne martha wainwright matchbox twenty michael spiegelman Microsoft Middle-class Mike Schmid Mobile Money mp3 music music copyright myspace paul doucette Podcast Poor Rich Rob Giles Samantha Murphy scott harrison silicon valley rocks SMtv Social Media Speechwriters LLC stuart cope students tatango Technology the break and repair method the devoted few the highway dog The Highway Girl the slow push top spin Tour twestival twitter variety telethon video yahoo yahoo music zune